Sweet & Savory Breakfast Bowl
I love an good breakfast bowl! Combining unexpected flavors and ingredients and finishing it off with a runny egg... what could be better!? Here the cauliflower adds volume to the oats and the grape tomatoes add a pop of color and unexpected sweetness finished off with a salty kick from the bagel seasoning.
You can always vary the proportion of oatmeal to cauliflower to change the amount of carbs. And if you're looking for more protein I'd suggest cooking an egg white or two with the oatmeal. I skipped adding any extra fats to this but I think it would be SO GOOD with some avocado or sharp cheddar cheese on top! Yeah actually sharp cheddar would be so good on this....guess I'll be making it again tomorrow :-)
- 25g old fashioned oatmeal (1/4 cup)
- 100g cauliflower (large handful)
- 1 Chicken sausage breakfast patty (I used al fresco county style)
- 1 large egg
- 5g real maple syrup (1/2 tablespoon)
- 50g grape tomatoes (6 tomatoes)
- Dash of Everything but the Bagel seasoning
1. Steam cauliflower until fork tender, pulse in blender until consistency of rice (only a couple pulses). I added a bit of salt and pepper here as well.
2. Heat up frying pan and fry egg sunny side up- try and keep the yolk runny! It becomes a great sauce. Salt and pepper as desired!
3. Remove egg and set aside, slice tomatoes in half and warm in pan with sausage patty just to warm everything through.
4. Cook oats according to package or how you like them. I just added a bit of water to mine and microwave for a minute.
5. Combine cauliflower with oatmeal (a bit of cinnamon here is great too!), top with sausage, egg, and tomatoes.
6. Drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with bagel seasoning. Voila! Enjoy!